Thursday 11 March 2010

What happened to email?

Seems that now everyone I know has either a Twitter account or a Facebook account (or both) along with MSN, AIM and Google Talk, no-one ever sends me email. I've spent many, many hours making sure I have a working email set up that syncs over a desktop PC, a laptop and a mobile phone, and it all works now. But people insist on sending me Twitter direct messsages, Facebook wall posts or instant messenger alerts instead of typing up a proper email.

Thing is, instant messaging and Twitter are both very "immediate" - if I don't reply there and then, chances are the message will be lost or go unnoticed. Messages on Facebook only ever get seen when I log in to Facebook. The thing I have always loved about email is that I can read it when I want to, where I want to, mark it as needing attention later on, copy it, forward it, print it, etc. Many of these things I can't do with any of the "new" methods.

I guess I understand a little of how other people felt when email started to take over from hand written letters. I just hope that things will settle down with all these different ways of talking and we can all get back to using one thing that works for everyone.

Like email.

No comments:

Post a Comment