Wednesday 23 June 2010

Easy Email Security

Have just learned soemthing today from the very helpful guys at http://www.theregister.co.uk/ - it seems that a lot of web based email services allow you to use custom email addresses and this can be a very good way of filtering out spam, and even detecting who is selling/losing your email address in the first place.

I currently use two main email addresses, both of which are web based (though I use a combination of POP3 and IMAP to actually access them) and they are bryan.anderson@hotmail.co.uk and brykins@gmail.com. Now, both of these services (and others by the sound of it) allow you to add extra bits to your email address just before the "@" symbol.

All you need to do is to tag on a "+" and some text. For example, I can give out an email address of brykins+blog@gmail.com and the email will still come to my normal gmail.com mailbox, but I can filter out everythings with "+blog" into a seperate folder. I could use brykins+tesco@gmail.com for my grocery shopping and should I start to get spammed by unknown companies, then I will know who let my address out into the wild.

Just thought I'd pass the tip along.

No comments:

Post a Comment