Thursday 20 August 2009

My mobile history....pt5

I have just remembered that I got to part four and stopped. There's a reason for this - I can't remember the new phones! We're up to about mid-2007 with the Windows smartphones and by this time I was deeply entrenched in the mobile phone industry myself.....which meant that in a very short space of time I went through:

3 x Imate pre-production phones
LG Chocolate
Nokia 6300
Nokis N73
Nokia N95
Samsung U600
Blackberry 8800
Blackberry 8100
Blackberry 8310
Palm 500V
Sony Ericsson M600

There are probably others - I genuinely have lost track of the most recent phones.

But most recently I have been using a Blackberry Curve 8900 as my own phone and in my last job I was given an iPhone for work use. The iPhone was awful - well....awful as a phone and communications evice at least. The on-screen keyboard simply didn't work for me and I just couldn't get used to it. The email, calendar and contacts software were basic in the extreme - great for casual use but simply not ready for use day in, day out in a corporate environment. And the battery lasted less than a day.

But for games, it simply couldn't be beaten. Free and very cheap games from the App Store made it easy to fill the phone up with the likes of Flight Control, Harbour Master and others (one of the reason why the battery didn't last too long I guess) and these games are the only reason I actually miss the phone. Must get myself an iPod Touch soon!

My Blackberry....what can I say? It just works! The keyboard means I can type faster than on my PC. The screen is a gorgeous 480x360 pixels - that almost as big as my very first laptop! 3.2MP camera gives me photos I can print out. The software makes keeping contacts and calendar up to date and sync'd with the desktop (via Funambol online sync) a breeze and all my Hotmail email accounts sync perfectly.

I can't see me moving away from Blackberry.

At least not until the iPhone gets a slide out keyboard and major software overhauls.

No comments:

Post a Comment