Monday 27 July 2009

Do I like Pink Floyd?

If someone asks me to name my favourite band I will always answer “Pink Floyd” without hesitation. But I am starting to think that maybe I don’t like them as a band....I think I just like Roger Waters. And then, just the “concept” albums.

This realisation struck while watching David Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall on Sky Arts this evening.....when I noticed that everything NOT from The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, Dark Side of the Moon or The Final Cut was boring, repetitive and just, well, whiney.

I tried listening to Floyd albums after the split...and they just didn’t grab me like the one’s above did. But I did find myself listening to Waters’ solo stuff (The Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking, Radio C.H.A.O.S and Amused to Death) and Hitch-Hiking is still one of my all-time favourite albums.

So there it is. I’ve said it, so now I need to go and change my Facebook profile and remove Pink Floyd from my favourite artists.....and add Roger Waters instead. Problem is – no-one know’s who he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment