Monday 27 July 2009

My mobile history....pt3

After the T610, I started getting more adventurous with my phones. I wanted them to DO more, to email, to play movies, games, make the tea, etc. My next phone is one that is still very dear to my heart: the Palm Treo 600.

A full QWERTY keyboard, a big screen (a whopping 160x160 pixels!), a camera, mp3 player, email, and more. And additional software was available - hundreds and hundreds of PalmOS games and applications!

It felt good too - like it was solid. Solid metal - it weighed more than my desk phone and the aerial made it awkward in the pocket, but it didn't feel like it'd ever break.

And it didn't.

Well - apart from the speaker going all fuzzy on me. But that was easy to fix with some tin foil and a no.6 Torx screwdriver.

But the lure of Nokia-land was calling me. I'd resisted for a long, long time (though had endured Nokia phones issued by various employers - we don't talk about those beasts here) but in 2004 they had something new. Something shiny. With a flip. And a twist.

So the Treo went on Ebay and along came the Nokia 6260. It was a smartphone - Symbian S60 and it had a flip screen that twisted. It needed to because it had no external screen so no way to see who was calling you unless you lept the phone flipped and twisted. Then the screen would get knackered and would also need to be twisted round again if you wanted to make a call or text. Or anything really.

The flip was floppy. The keys were bad. The screen was poor. I hated it.

It went on Ebay very, very quickly.

And then I started on Windows Mobile devices. And there were many, all with various problems - most were slow, all were prone to freezing and needing a re-boot. But there were many and I can't even recall what order I had them in now....

No comments:

Post a Comment