Monday 27 July 2009

My mobile history....pt1

One of those "Social Scene" things popped up on Facebook the other day - "Five Cell Phones I've Had" - and it got me thinking.

I have now gone through so many different phones, and my memory is so bad, that I can't actually recall many of them. But thought I'd have a go anyway.

My first was a Mercury/One2One M300:


I remember paying £15 per month for this and about £100 up front. The sim card was full-size (a whole credit card that slotted into the bottom of the phone) and it had a two line display. No texting as far as I can remember, no vibrate, no email, no games, no nothing. But I was cool because I had a mobile phone.

I was also skint because I had a mobile phone. Eventually it got cut off. Phone was boxed up and sold at Cash Converters if I remember correctly.

My next phone was some time later - an Ericsson (before they were Sony Ericsson) GA628. One line of text, stubby little aerial and a huge battery. But I was cool again - I hit the credit card and got a slimline battery for it....it was sexy.

The blue keyboard surround was changeable - I had the blue one and a red one, but best of all, I had a black one. I loved that phone.

I also found a great add-on. At the time I used a Palm PDA and with the right cable I could conenct the GA628 to the Palm and ...... get email on the move! In 1998! Of course, it was at 9,600bps and text only and stupidly expensive, but I was a mobile executive!

But then.....Panasonic made a phone which VIBRATED! No more embarrasing ring tones. No more questions from the wife about who was calling me. I had to have one. I ended up with the Panasonic G600.

Multi line display!
Vibration!
SMS!

That was it - the BIG upgrade....to get vibration and multi-line display and, I think, the first phone I had that would send and receive text messages. I didn't KNOW anyone else to send a text message to though. If I recall, I don't think I ever actually sent a text message.

No comments:

Post a Comment